The Introductory Teacher
Mentoring Program 2020
The Yoga Centre provides teacher mentoring for experienced and dedicated Iyengar Yoga students who, having an existing established practice, wish to both deepen their practice and share their experience and knowledge with others.
The Teacher Mentoring Program is taught by Caroline Coggins. Caroline is a senior Iyengar Yoga teacher with 40 years’ experience. Caroline has been a student of the Iyengar family since the 1980s and is qualified to train teachers in the Iyengar method.
The Program focus is on helping dedicated students move deeply into their own practice and develop skills to share their learnings with others. As their practice and teaching capability deepens and matures students are prepared for Introductory Level assessment in accordance with the requirements and minimum standards set by the BKS Iyengar Yoga Association of Australia (the Association). Certification at Introductory Level is determined by an external assessment committee set up by the Association. Once certified the student can call themselves an Iyengar teacher and use the Iyengar trademark.
In 2020 the Teacher Mentoring Program consists of 6 modules: four in Sydney, one at a retreat centre at Otford just south of Sydney, and one in Bali. The first five of these are mandatory to the Program. (Externally based students may negotiate some flexibility). Attendance at the Bali retreat at least once during your time on the Training Program is encouraged, but not compulsory.
These modules are outlined below:
Module 1: Otford Retreat:
The 2020 Program commences with a 4 day retreat at Otford in the Illawarra region south of Sydney. This retreat sets the frame for the year. It runs from 4pm Thursday January 31 to 2pm (after lunch) on Monday 4 February. Further information can be found on the Otford Retreat page.
Modules 2 to 5: In Sydney at the Yoga Centre:
- Module 2: Saturday 7 March – Monday 9 March
- Module 3: Saturday 4 April – Monday 6 April
- Module 4: Saturday 6 June – Monday 8 June
- Module 5: Saturday 3 October – Monday 5 October
Attendance at the above core modules, including Otford, is expected for all Sydney based trainees.
Module 6: Bali Retreat and Teacher/Advanced Learning Days: (Encouraged at least once during the 3 year Program)
In 2020 the Bali Retreat and Teacher Development days are as follows:
- Retreat: runs from Sunday 28 June to Sunday 5 July (arrive evening Saturday 27 June). Open to regular yoga students, teacher trainees and certified teachers.
- Teacher Mentoring and Advanced Learning Days: run from Tuesday 23 June to Friday 26 June (arrive evening Monday 22 June). Open to teacher trainees, certified teachers and advanced practitioners, including those on the Sadhana program.
For further information on the Bali Retreat, including Teacher Development Days see the Bali Retreat 2020 page.
Otford Retreat and Teacher Development:
- Thursday 31 January: Teacher trainees arrive by 4pm for a led practice session, followed by dinner and talk.
- Friday 1 February. Advanced learning and teacher mentoring until 4pm. Intensive starts with led practice 4-6 pm. (‘Intensive only’ students arrive by 4pm).
- Saturday 2 February: Intensive continues morning and afternoon.
- Sunday 3 February morning: Intensive continues in morning. ‘Intensive only’ students depart after lunch.
- Sunday afternoon: Teacher mentoring: Attended by trainees and certified teachers.
- Monday 4 February morning: Teacher mentoring continues. Retreat finishes Monday after lunch.
The Four Sydney Modules:
- 9.30-10.30am: Sitting meditation and pranayama
- 11.00am-1.30pm: Asana class
- 2.30-4.00pm: Restorative asana, inversions, reflection
- 10.00-11.00am: Sitting meditation and pranayama
- 11.00am-2.00pm: Asana class
- 2.30-4.30pm: Study, reflection, collaborative learning
- 8.00-9.00am: Sitting and pranayama
- 9.00-10.30am: Led practice
- 10.30am-1.00pm: Teaching practice
- 1.00-2.00pm: Lunch break
- 2.00-4.00pm: Assessment sequence
- 4.00-5.00pm: Review, reflection, homework, etc
A student wishing to train as a teacher must have been practicing Iyengar yoga regularly for a minimum of three years, or have attended a minimum of 300 hours of classes with a certified Iyengar teacher accredited by the Association. Prospective trainees will have established a personal practice before commencing training.
If you are not a regular student of Caroline’s it is recommended that you attend one of her intensives before you submit your application.
The cost of the four Sydney-based modules in 2020 is $2280. The cost of Otford is $825 (excludes accommodation and food). So the total cost of the program for the year is $3105.
For the four Sydney based modules trainees are encouraged to pay the full amount up front at the start of the year. This early payment attracts a discount of 5% so the amount due is $2166. The due date is January 31 2020.
Alternatively, you may pay for the Sydney modules in three instalments as follows:
|Amount due||Due date|
|Payment 1: 50% of yearly fee||$1140||Friday January 31 2020|
|Payment 2: 25% of yearly fee||$570||Friday May 8, 2020|
|Payment 3: 25% of yearly fee||$570||Friday 4 September, 2020|
In exceptional circumstances a trainee may discuss alternative payment arrangements with Caroline Coggins.
Otford is to be paid for separately and in line with payment arrangements outlined on the Otford Retreat page
Full details of Bali costs can be found on the Bali 2020 Retreat page
How to apply
Applications open from 8 October 2019. If you’d like to apply, please submit your written application, on the Yoga Centre Teacher Mentoring Program application form, by end November 2019 at the latest. Earlier applications are encouraged.
Please provide details of your yoga history, any physical problems or disabilities, age, work and home situation. Please also state why you would like to do this training. Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com
Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their application by Friday December 6, 2019.
If you have any queries prior to submitting your application please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com or call 02 96987960. Leave a message if necessary and we will get back to you within a couple of days.