Teacher Training with Caroline Coggins
The Yoga Centre provides teacher training for experienced and dedicated Iyengar Yoga students who wish to deepen their practice and share their experience and knowledge with others.
The Teacher Training Program is taught by Caroline Coggins. Caroline is a senior Iyengar Yoga teacher with 35 years’ experience. Caroline has been a student of the Iyengar family since the 1980s and is qualified to train teachers in the Iyengar method.
The Program focus is on helping dedicated students move more deeply into their own practice. As their practice deepens and matures students are prepared for Introductory Level assessment in accordance with the requirements and minimum standards set by the BKS Iyengar Yoga Association of Australia (the Association). Certification at Introductory Level is determined by an external assessment committee set up by the Association. Once certified the student can call themselves an Iyengar teacher and use the Iyengar trademark.
The Association requires that trainees undertake 300 hours of teacher training before they can sit for assessment. Each year the core Program offers over 100 eligible hours towards this requirement, and further hours are possible if students attend additional retreats and classes offered by Caroline during the year.
However attainment of minimum hours for assessment is not the main aim of the Program. To become a teacher students need to deepen their own practice and understanding. This takes time and commitment to the yoga journey, and each individual is different. Regardless of hours attained, a student who enters the Program with the minimum 3 years of Iyengar yoga experience can expect to be on the Program for at least 3 years before they are ready to sit for assessment. A referral from Caroline Coggins is needed to sit for assessment. This referral is subject to skill level achieved.
Program structure in 2019
In 2019 there are five core Program modules, one at Otford and four in Sydney. These are outlined below:
Otford Retreat (Module 1):
- The 2019 Program commences with a 4 day retreat at Otford in the Illawarra region south of Sydney. The retreat runs from 4pm Thursday January 31 to 2pm (after lunch) on Monday 4 February.
Further information can be found on the Otford retreat page
Four Sydney-based modules (Modules 2 to 5):
- Module 2: Saturday 16 March – Monday 18 March
- Module 3: Saturday 27 April – Monday 29 April
- Module 4: Saturday 14 September – Monday 16 September
- Module 5: Saturday 12 October – Monday 14 October.
Attendance at the above core modules, including Otford, is expected for all Sydney based trainees. Externally based trainees may negotiate some flexibility.
Additional Attendance Options:
Each year Caroline runs a two week retreat in Bali. Attendance is optional, however trainees are encouraged to attend the Bali Retreat and Teacher Development Days at least once during their time on the Program.
In 2019 the Bali Retreat and Teacher Development days are as follows:
- Bali Retreat: runs from Sunday 9 June to Sunday 16 June (arrive evening Saturday 8 June). Open to regular yoga students, teacher trainees and certified teachers.
- Bali Teacher Development Days: run from Wednesday 5 June to Friday 7 June (arrive evening Tuesday 4 June). Open to teacher trainees, certified teachers and advanced practitioners.
For further information on the Bali Retreat, including Teacher Development Days see The 2019 Bali Retreat page.
In November 2019 Caroline will offer a Teacher Development Retreat in Northern NSW. Dates are still to be determined. For further information please go to //yogacentre.com.au/events/….
Attendance at Caroline’s other classes and workshops, in Sydney and around Australia, is also encouraged. These typically include the Sunshine Coast, Perth, Gold Coast, Coffs Harbour etc. See the Events Calendar for further information and dates for 2019.
Structure of Core Modules
Otford Retreat and Teacher Development:
- The structure of Otford is as follows:
- Thursday 31 January: Teacher trainees arrive by 4pm for self-practice session, followed by dinner and talk.
- Friday 1 February. Teacher development until 4pm. Intensive starts with group practice 4-6 pm. (‘Intensive only’ students arrive by 4pm).
- Saturday 2 February: Intensive continues morning and afternoon.
- Sunday 3 February morning: Intensive continues in morning. ‘Intensive only’ students depart after lunch.
- Sunday afternoon: Teacher development. Attended by trainees and certified teachers.
- Monday 4 February morning: Teacher development continues. Retreat finishes Monday after lunch.
Sydney Modules: the structure of the four Sydney modules is as follows:
Saturday and Sunday: 10.00 am to 5.00 pm each day: Intensive and Teacher Development
- 10.00 am – 12.30 pm: Intensive asana class (regular students, trainees and certified teachers)
- 12.30 pm – 1.30 pm: Lunch break
- 1.30 pm – 3.00 pm: Intensive asana class (regular students, trainees and certified teachers)
- 3.00 pm – 5.00 pm: Teacher Development (trainees and certified teachers only)
Monday: 8.00 am – 5.00 pm: Teacher Development: (trainees and certified teachers only)
In order to join this Program you must have been attending Iyengar yoga classes regularly for a minimum of three years, or if living in an isolated location you must have attended 280 hours of classes with a certified Iyengar teacher. Prospective trainees will have established a personal practice before commencing training.
If you are not a regular student of Caroline’s it is recommended that you attend an intensive before you submit your application. These intensives coincide with the 4 Sydney module dates shown above (the ‘intensive’ runs from Saturday 12 noon to Sunday 6pm each module).
You must be a member of the BKS Iyengar Yoga Association of Australia.
Course fees and payment
In 2019 the total cost (inclusive of GST) of the four Sydney-based modules is $2,400.
Up-front payment at the start of the year attracts a discount of 5% so the amount due is $2280. The due date is Friday 25 January 2019.
Alternatively, payment can be made in three instalments as follows:
|Amount Due Date|
Teacher Training Module 1 Retreat costs:
A deposit of $300 is required to hold a space for the Teacher Training Module 1 Retreat. See below ‘How to pay’.
Includes: 25.5 training hours, 4 nights camping plus all vegetarian meals.
Earlybird cost if paid in full by December 18: $1,185Full fee due by January 18: $1,265
Share (Quad share, non ensuite)
Includes: 25.5 training hours, 4 nights camping plus all vegetarian meals.
Earlybird cost if paid in full by December 18: $1,325
Full fee due by January 18: $1,405
TWIN SHARE en-suite accommodation is available but very limited.
Costs: $1,565 Earlybird and $1,645 Full fee.
How to Pay
Trainees are requested to pay for Teacher Training via direct bank transfer. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the correct account details. Once you have made your transfer, remember to email a copy of the receipt to us along with the details of what you have paid for.Cash or credit card payments may be made at the studio at the start of the year or by specified due dates if paying in instalments. If you wish to do this, please make sure you email email@example.com to advise of your payment intentions. Payments via credit card attract a 2.3% fee.
Terms and Conditions
It is required that all trainees read Teacher Training Program Attendance, Payment and Credit Policy: Read the Policy here.
Applying for the 2019 Teacher Training Program
Applicants will be advised of the outcome by Friday 28 December 2018.
Phone enquiries: 02 96987960