About the Yoga Centre East Redfern
The Yoga Centre is an Iyengar Yoga Institute which follows the teachings of BKS Iyengar – one of the world’s foremost yoga teachers. Our centre has been operating for over 30 years, beginning with a studio on the North Shore and then moving to Kings Cross, where we were situated for 20 years, before moving to our current location in East Redfern three years ago. Our purpose built studio is a place where you can explore your yoga practice in a safe and supportive environment. Classes are run every day and people from all walks of life gather to learn this art.
Yoga and Iyengar Yoga
Iyengar yoga differs from other yoga because of its focus on precision in alignment, and the integration of body, breath and mind in the moment. But Iyengar yoga is not just focused on physical development. As you travel the yoga path you will come to recognize fundamental aspects of your personality and tendencies of character and gain an insight into how you choose to live and shape your life. Learning to practice yoga takes time, commitment, discipline and trust and this best happens in a consistent environment. We are here to provide the environment and guidance to support you on this journey.
When we practice Iyengar Yoga we:
- Use the body as a tool to undertake a practice of self study, an inner journey to better self knowledge and connection with our innermost being
- Build a capacity for mental focus and awareness and in so doing come to better understand ourselves as physical, mental, emotional and spiritual beings
- Refine and clarify our perception – by training the mind to be still, we gain mental clarity and allow deeper discernment to emerge, both on the mat and in our daily lives
- Develop greater awareness of our own natures and tendencies and this brings with it the potential for self transformation
- Exercise and develop self discipline, restraint and a capacity for acceptance and surrender – in the process experiencing a deep sense of stability, peace and contentment